Saturday, January 5, 2008

Living the Good Life

Cue up Weezer's "The Good Life" on the iTunes, iPod, or iPhone (if your're Daniel Talley.) Here's the low down...

I've been here six days now. I've boated over ten times in the past five days. LIFE IS GOOD! The first four days (the 2nd-5th) we were on the Kaituna River. It's a "Sweet Arse" run, just a few km's long. A super short shuttle and warm water! Has a few really fun waterfalls on it, and then a wicked playspot at the end. The gorge the run goes through is amazingly perrty! Vines of native bush sweep over the river and hang down off the bank like a a scene from George of the Jungle. (But if you say you think the jungle is cool here, the locals will correct you that it's bush, eh?, not jungle.) Anyways, it's super hard to pay attention to the rapids because the scenery is way too cool. There's this cool store at the put-in with some amazing pies. Pies down here are not Pizza pies, they are like Chicken Pot Pies, except way better fillings, and much crispier, flakier, more pastry style crust. Point is, they're damn good. Especially right after boating!

Today we got a couple runs in on the Wairoa River. Another fun cruiser that reminded me alot of the Boonetown home-run, the Wah-taw-guh! Sweet Arse, mate!

A couple funky things about NZ culture that comes to mind...

-They've got a fly zapper at the place I'm staying right now, (Andy and Amy's place in Papamoa on the coast of the Bay of Plenty) and within the past minute three flies got zapped. That's not saying there are a bunch of flies here, (I hear the bugs are bad down on the South Island!) but I just thought it was funny three just went POP!
-Today we were paddling a dam release run and two goats got stranded on these two tiny rocks in the middle of the river. They obviously got caught by the water and we least than stoked on their situation. It was bloody hilarious! Stand by for pictures.
-They drive on the wrong side of the road here, like they do in Britain as well. This causes more problems than just on the road.
-If you want to talk like a Kiwi just replace a "u" for when you would normally say an "i." "U'd luke a puece of Fush and a scoop of Chups"
-They put egg and beatroot (which is kiwi for beats) on their hamburgers. It's actually mighty tastely.
-I went to a wedding of Wheel's buddies last night and the ceremony was no more than 15 minutes, in, out, papers signed and on to the boozing. That's how it should be done every time, seriously. They made out like three times when they said you may kiss the bride. It was hilarious.
-Avocados are the only thing that's cheap in NZ. You can get 10 for $3. That's opposed to a burger which ran like $11 today at lunch!
-Real roundabouts are fun.
-Highways are not massive, which is refreshing. It's very rare to see more than a two-laner anywhere.
-They are way into cricket. Like WAY into it. When it comes on the tele people get stoked, and when you ask them what the fuck is going on, they can't explain because they are too into it.
-The mix of the indigenous culture, the Maori, and the British influence is pretty amusing at times. You can drive down the road, enter a town that's name is ten syllables long and god knows how to even start pronouncing it, then two minutes later you're in the town of Bethlehem.

That's enough random thoughts for now. We are about to start our journey down to the South Island, then on to Christchurch, my future home. There I should be able to upload some pictures and really start getting ya'll aquanted with this crazy land down under!

For now, Cheers mate!!!

11 comments:

Ken Lambla said...

Sounds like good river runs and good food! Love those "pies" and you probably remember them from your time in England.
I'd like to read an entire post with the "u" for an "i" translation; and I really like the idea of running into Bethlehem on the way to a Maori village!

I guess one lesson is: Avoid making out with brides!
Wonderful to read your observations....keep em coming!
K

JAH WILL said...

Keep'em comin' Kid, I'm lovin' the updates. Keep it up and I may book a flight to NZ before you come home, seriously!

Would be awesome to hit some Kiwi runs with you and your NZ crew. Oh yeah, PICTURES NEEDED! I'm living vicariously through you while your away and some visual stimuli would aid in a big way.

Ran the Green on the first, Triple Crowned for the first time in 4 years, yelled your name out as I cruised through the big three.

Peace,
JAH WILL

easteighth said...

score! Dad and I just wondered what you were up to. Sounds alright...
I can't wait to see those poor goats.

I don't want to SEE a post in Kiwi, I want to hear you speaking Kiwi.

Anonymous said...

sounds great coop. do the eddies swirl around in the opposite direction down there? did high water raven fork the other day...burl. keep it up man. look forward to future posts.

S0PHIE8 said...

Just so you know, make sure you haven't been on a farm recently or have muddy shoes if you are trying to get into NZ from another country. New Zealand made me throw away my sneakers! Stupid. (This is what I remember from New Zealand. Clearly my priorities are no good.)

Anyway, have fun and if you run into a guy called Alex Lee studying abroad in Christchurch, he may be my friend Jenny's brother (who I studied abroad with).

Umm, also, if you have any advice (TO ALL THE LAMBLAS ACTUALLY) How do I transport a burrito on a plane? Can I just bring it carry on? Greg wants pork.

Sorry to overtake your comments Cooper.

June said...

SOUNDS INCREDIBLE! Just seeing your posts as I'm just back from LaCrosse tonight, "Coop Style" ... all different flights than those scheduled!
You liked the wedding just 'cause it was short enuf to avoid fainting. Your version of NZ lingo is great... can't wait to see pics,

Love ya!

kfrankli said...

AHHHH!!! I can't even begin to tell you how ELATED I was to get your email. Then reading your blog posts made me oh so jealous. Great job writing and keep it up! My goodness how I wish I could be there now too! Sounds fantastic!

Pablo McCandless said...

yo coop, So I have a guy that can fix the excel, where is the boat, is there any way I can go pick it up somewhere.

Cheers man

live it up

Pablo

Clayton Gaar said...

Yo Cooper!
Its Clayton. Sounds like a sick trip man! I'm trying to study down there in Christchurch either next semester or the following semester. Shoot me your email address if ya dont mind so I can get some beta on tha shit down there!

My email's cpgaar@unca.edu.
Hope to hear from ya soon bro.
Cheers mate!

jen cline said...

Coop! I am completely jealous, sounds like you are having a blast.Weddings New Zealand style...way cool. Jen Cline

Ken Lambla said...

SO THE QUESTION IS.......IS COOPER STILL IN NEW ZEALAND?